What made you smile this week? Seriously, think about it. If by the end of the week you are tired, overwhelmed, and maybe even relieved that it’s over, there’s a good little trick I find that helps recapture some of the good moments of the week . . . And I know there were some good ones, even on those really loooong and crappy weeks.
This is a really short exercise that I do to help trigger the brain and boost my mood. You know the saying, “you get what you look for”? Well, taking just a bit of time to take stock of your week and looking for good moments, funny, silly or sweet little happenings helps cement the week as good and important, and keeps it from being simply a blur of action and stress or simply stale and mundane.
After you think of little moments throughout your week that made you smile. . . write them down. Keep the thoughts from being fleeting and actually memorialize them. I choose the number FIVE and write FIVE things that brought on a smile or laugh during the week. (not really sure why five is the number, you choose your own!) Even on those crummy weeks during quarantine – when every day feels like Groundhog Day – and I think there is NO way I can come up with 5 different smiles, once I begin I always come up with more, and more and more. . .
It’s similar to making a gratitude list in that it shifts perspective to the good, and we all need more good in our days and weeks.
Honestly, give this one a try. Grab a sticky note, the back of a napkin or put it in your calendar (I’m one of those old school folks who still loves to keep a physical calendar and love jotting this down on the Fridays in my calendar).
This little practice of writing out What Made You Smile This Week is a little gift to wind down your week and bring it to a close with a smile on your face.
I’ll even share my list from the week . . .
- Flowers from one of the boys. (every time I walk by I find myself smiling)
- These paws. I was working one day and looked down to see our dog Eli lying patiently beside my desk with very politely crossed feet (:
- Phone call from another of the boys had me chuckling.
- Group texts with girlfriends where we share “worst songs ever”. (How did some of these songs ever get released??)
- Reel from @the.hartys (can I share this? I’ll try but not sure I’m tech savvy enough! Anyway, search for “Today my dog bit my husband so we had to put him down”. I totally laughed out loud at this one! And still do every time I watch it! Here’s the link!
Of course, I’d love to know if you try this little trick. What are your smiles this week?