One of the bright spots to this new normal is having you back for my workouts. . . after lots of yoga, walks and some painful runs, I was so excited to follow along to your first “socially distant” class this morning. . . I can’t wait for more installments. . . thank you – your energy is th e perfect anxiety soother!
At home workouts. Some folks love them, some hate them and some people do them out of necessity when life requires. Sometimes I love them – the convenience, the practicality, the time to myself. I also love being able to try new things, moves, yoga poses, challenges without worrying about embarrassing myself! Sometimes I find home workouts simply save me. Some days if it doesn’t happen at home, it just won’t happen. They can be much easier to fit into a busy day.
These days, at home workouts are a necessity. So, I’m trying to embrace them, love them, crave them and find ways to keep them fresh, creative and keep myself motivated. I hope you are doing the same! Here are some good tips:
- Schedule your workout into your day just as you would if going to a class.
- Get dressed for it!
- Crank up some good music. Make a fun playlist – you can follow me on Spotify (or other instructors, or get your kids to make one for you! )
- Pretend you are in a group with your favorite people at your favorite place. Yes, remember what it was like to play pretend? Do it again!
- Plan the workout. Figure out what you are going to do before you begin. Are you following a live stream class? A YouTube video? Is it a HIIT, yoga, or strength day? If you do not typically do “your own thing” you may want to write it down.
- Get others in your home involved. Talk it up, get them to join, make a challenge, engage with others with what you are doing so you don’t feel alone and isolated.
I recently shared an outdoor workout I was leading just for fun. I warned that it was not fancy, was filmed in real time with my typical unscripted chatting throughout. To my surprise some folks actually watched and did it!
I received such good feedback and SO appreciated the encouragement! So, just in case you’d like a little workout in your back pocket to use during this time of working out at home, then here is another . . . .
And remember, you can always put it on mute. lol.
If you are looking for a mat for all of your home workouts, here is my shameless plug. I have a new mat that will give you a little extra cushion where we need it while using a mat! Check out the MD Mat. This is my little baby and it helps you if you are one to fold your mat, use towels or cushions under your joints.
Ya’ll stay healthy!