I do not like winter. I do not like the cold, the shorter days, the dark evenings. The only thing I do like about this time of year is being about to wear boots and cooking and creating large one pot meals. And if I can do that in the crock pot, that’s even better. Recently I wanted something warm and hearty for a cold, rainy day. I combined two of my favorite chili/soup recipes and came up with this White Bean Chicken Kale Soup. It was definitely good enough to share with you.
White Bean Chicken Kale Soup
- In a crock pot, drizzle olive oil in the bottom and layer chicken breasts on top. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with the spices and cover with broth.
- Add the cooked sausage and drained beans and kale.
- Cook on high 4- 41/2 hours. (You can also do this in a dutch oven on the stove, cooking the chicken and sauteeing the vegetables and allow to simmer approximately 30 minutes on the stove).
- Before serving, take a large spoon and seperate the chicken breasts into bite size chunks, or remove and shred.
- Season with salt and pepper (I added a little more cumin) and serve with a grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
You know I wouldn’t share this with you if it wasn’t good! Bookmark this, take a screen shot or print it. It’s a good one to have on one of our coooooold days!