I have been off of my cooking game lately, but preparing meals this time of year seems to be so much easier. I love simple, light meals during the summer. We all want more time to do more of the fun stuff. Going back to a “day job” also meant whatever I’m whipping up has to be super quick and super easy.
Here are four goodies I’m keeping in my rotation this summer.
1. Fish in Foil
This is something I’ve been doing for years. It’s a great way to do something with the vegetables you have on hand.
Makes 2 servings
- 4 to 6 ounces fish of choice (salmon, halibut, sole)
- 1 to 2 cups chopped vegetables of choice (zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, Broccolini, carrots, purple onion)
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh or dried herb of choice (parsley, thyme, sage, herbes de Provence, cilantro)
- 1 tablespoon fat of choice (olive oil, melted coconut oil, melted butter)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- lemon slices for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. take 2 large pieces of foil and criss cross them inside of a large jellyroll pan (or pan with a wide lip). Layer the fish, vegetables, herbs, lemon juice and wine. Drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with whatever herbs you like.
3. Fold or crimp the foil into sealed pockets. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. You can also pop these on the grill. Parchment paper also works if you are cooking in the oven.
This looks quite impressive. Just a bonus.
2. Butter Lettuce Wrapped Shrimp Tacos
Makes 2 to 4 servings
- 1 pound raw wild shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 to 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ¼ cup Primal Kitchen mayonnaise or avocado mayo
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (from about 1/2 cabbage)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 butter lettuce head, leaves separated
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges, for serving
1. In a medium bowl, coat the shrimp with the taco seasoning.
2. In a large bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the lime juice and whisk until thinned. Add the cabbage and mix to coat.
3. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook until pink and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Place the lettuce leaves on a plate and use them as taco “shells,” layering in the shrimp, slaw, avocado, and cilantro. Squeeze the lime wedges on top and serve.
Could that be any easier?
3. Protein Poke Bowl
I recently started loving poke bowls. If there are ever any leftovers they make great lunches!
Makes 2 servings.
- 2 tablespoonscoconutaminos
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- proteinofchoicecut into1inchcubes(chicken, salmon, shrimp, ground turkey or sushi grade salmon)
- 2 or 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
1. For Sushi poke bowl, in a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut aminos, vinegar, oil, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes. If using sushi grade salmon, add salmon and allow to marinate 5 minutes2. If making a warm poke bowl, in a warm skillet coated with olive oil, cook the protein (chicken, shrimp, turkey, cooked salmon) in olive oil until cooked through.3. Meanwhile, pit, peel, and cube the avocado into chunks. Add to the bowl and mix gently.4. To serve, divide the kale between two bowls. Top with the poke and sliced cucumbers.This is an easy base to play around with and add what makes you happy!
4. No Egg Salad
- 1 cup white beans
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 2 tablespoons avocado mayonnaise
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh herbs (parsley, dill, and chives)
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the avocado, mayonnaise, herbs, celery, and red onion in a large bowl. Slowly whip in and gently smash white beans until blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over salad, Wasa crackers or sprouted grain toast.
That it! The best fake egg salad out there!
Also, if you are looking for simple, meal ideas, try my