Since it IS football season and there’s just no getting around it – especially in a house full of men – I’ve learned to just embrace and go with it. It begins here on Friday night for highschool then rolls into Saturday morning when all the talk is what time the Georgia game is, where it is, who is getting the tickets, then continues on to Sunday for the Falcons. That’s just how this house rolls. Yours may be just the same, but maybe with different mascots.
As with most things, these events also involve food. Sometimes lots of food. Oftentimes not so healthy food. And that’s okay but it’s actually not so okay when it is all weekend every single weekend from September until December! So, I thought I’d share a healthy swap for one of the favorites – nachos. What’s the swap? Sweet potatoes. Now don’t immediately hit the delete button! Bear with me. That photo in itself ought to get you wanting to at least give it a try!
This recipe was shared on the Nutritious Life site, and it’s happening in this house. I cannot wait!
Sweet Potato Nachos
1 Sweet potato
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
Dash of Cayenne
Dash of Chili Powder
3 mini sweet red/orange peppers, sliced
1/4 white onion, sliced
3 tablespoons salsa
1/4 cup black beans
2 tablespoons jalapenos
1/3 avocado, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife or mandolin, slice 1 sweet potato thinly and lay flat on a lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil, and toss with cayenne and chili powder.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes depending on thickness of your potato slices.
- While potatoes are roasting, add peppers and onion to a saucepan over medium heat and cook until softened.
- Remove potatoes from oven, arrange them together as you would nacho chips, and top with salsa, black beans, roasted peppers, jalapenos, and avocado.
- Put back into the oven for about 5 more minutes, top with cilantro, and enjoy!
This plate is full of antioxidants and the black beans give it good plant based protein.
This is one of the colorful, vegetable filled types of food I’ll be promoting to my Better & Beyond clients starting this week!