As 2014 begins to come to a close there are a lot of folks starting to think about New Year’s Resolutions. A New Year – a new start. Time to get the diet and exercise thing back on track. I’m sure I’ll be right there with them. I’ve overindulged with the rest of you and need to get back in the game. I might even have other fitness and health goals out there as this 40-something year old body doesn’t seem to respond as quickly as it used to. Sigh. But, that’s for another post.
As the old year begins to wind down and a new one on the rise I begin to feel a bit nostalgic. A bit pensive. I begin feeling extremely grateful and thankful for the year that I have had. Granted, it’s not been a most stellar year, as years go, but I know how much I have to be thankful for. Some things are ordinary and others extraordinary. At occasions such as this I feel compelled to remind myself of them and set them forth in a list. Because you all know how I love a list! So, as you look at my own list, I hope it sparks your own list of gratitude for your year of 2014 and will push you into 2015 with a feeling of peace, accomplishment, thankfulness and memories of good times throughout your own year.
Here is my list of 2014 Gratefulness. I know I am leaving out things. This will in no way be a complete list of all that I have to be thankful for. . . .
In no particular order:
1. Hot Showers (the hotter the better)
2. Having my three boys together, laughing and having fun together.
3. Being able to take trips with my family, wherever it may be, near or far. The ability to travel outside of our own little bubble is a true gift.
4. Wonderful memories of growing up with my close knit family of four that I can share with my boys.
5. Morning quiet time with that first cup of coffee.
6. A good sweat.
7. My animals. . . back scratches of our old dog T-Rex, sleeping with our newest addition, Lu, and sweet memories of Fresca, who left us far too early.
8. Reading and listening to good books.
9. Listening to music. Preferably old ’70’s, Beach Music, current workout music and anything Country.
10. Going to church with my family on Sundays.
11. Family photos.
12. My friends – near and far. They know who they are and know that I will call on them at any time. I hope they know I will be there for them as they have been for me. I do not take them for granted!
13. My health. My ability to move my body. Some days that is a simple, but great thing.
14. Comments to this blog. This is really silly, but I am so thankful that someone out there is reading! Good comments or bad, I appreciate the opinions and feedback.
15. My faith. It is there and ever present.
16. A great pair of shoes.
17. And jeans that fit just right.
18. A chilled glass of Pinot Grigio. Yep.
19. And that brings me to a really good meal. Preferably, made at home, with friends or family around a table.
20. The sun. I just love the sun. Anytime, anywhere. I love being warm.
21. The Husband. He gets me in spite of me. Enough said on that one.
22. Growing up in a small town. It made me who I am and I am ever grateful.
23. Recipe books from my mom and grandmother. As well as watching FoodNetwork. I would love to share those recipes with these two powerhouse women.
24. Jokes. I can’t tell them but love to hear a good joke. My brother was especially good at this . . . .
25. A peaceful day.
I think these are my top 25. I know I am grateful for so many, many more things. These are the things that come to my mind at a moment’s notice.
As you can see, some are easy and inexpensive. Some are easily obtainable to us in America, and some are impossible since I have folks no longer present in this life. Whatever you have had in 2014, whether it’s been your best year yet, or your worst year, it is up to us to be positive. To think of all that we DO have. We do have so much – big and small to be thankful for. Let’s ring in 2015 being thankful for everything in 2014!
What would you add to the list? What have I forgotten?