Getting back on schedule means more home cooked meals around here. Last night was a good one so I’m here to share! I was meandering through the grocery store yesterday with a Pinterest inspired chicken dish on my mind. I had picked up a bag of fresh peas, shelled and ready to eat, at a farm stand driving home from picking up the Third Son from camp. What a treat! I knew we were having them, along with fresh tomatoes and watermelon, so a Lemon Chicken dish I had seen sounded perfect. While in the produce aisles I saw a bag of those little sweet peppers and some green onions. Adding these vegetables to the chicken seemed like a good idea. It was.
So, here’s my Lemon Chicken Plus recipe. It took about 20 minutes and was really good. It will be served again in our kitchen!
LEMON CHICKEN PLUS (WHATEVER YOU HAVE ON HAND!)
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- dash of kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 5 small mini sweet peppers
- Pound the chicken breasts until each breast is about 3/4 inch thick. Mix the flour and salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Toss the chicken breasts to cover each with the mixture. Melt the butter in a large sauté pan. Add in a drizzle of olive oil. Saute the chicken breasts about 5 minutes on each side, or until nice and brown. Generously sprinkle each side with lemon pepper. When the chicken is cooked through, remove from sauté pan and place in a pan off of the heat. Add the chopped asparagus, other vegetables and ending with lemon slices. Scrape the bottom of the pan to get the browned bits loose from the bottom of the pan.
- When the vegetables are crisp tender, add the chicken back to the pan and stir mixing the vegetables around the pan.
- It makes a beautiful, colorful dish for serving!
(adapted from Pinch of Yum recipe)
What is on your meal plan for back to school? Are you getting back on schedule? Back to school yet? Excited about this time of year or a little depressed?
Have fun this week!