I am not a big pasta eater. Since I rarely eat it I guess I rarely cook it. But, I came across this recipe in Cooking Light that I tweaked just a bit and we all really liked it. It’s one I’ll be doing again. I mean, it’s really quick and easy and with shrimp and bacon, what’s not to like?
It goes like this:
PENNE WITH SHRIMP AND BACON
- 1 lb half whole wheat and half organic penne pasta, uncooked
- 4 applewood-smoked bacon slices
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 and 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Red Pepper Flakes
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions until almost al dente, omitting salt and fat; drain, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until crisp, turning once. Remove from pan; reserve drippings. Crumble bacon. Add garlic to drippings in pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add shrimp; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove shrimp from pan; set aside.
- 3. Add reserved 3/4 cup cooking liquid and oil to pan; bring to a boil. Boil 30 seconds, stirring with a whisk. Add pasta to pan; cook 1 minute, tossing to combine. Stir in spinach, shrimp, and salt and red pepper flakes. Top with bacon. Serve immediately.
This was a really good meal with a side salad.
My tweakings were adding an extra half pound of shrimp, red pepper flakes and using half whole wheat penne pasta. You can see the “real” recipe here.
Also, don’t forget to give a comment here or like my Marla-Deen-Fit FB page to be entered for a chance to win Rodan & Fields sunscreen. Who doesn’t like free stuff AND who doesn’t need sunscreen this time of year? GIVEAWAY ENDS ON FRIDAY!
As I am typing this, I am sitting in my bedroom listening to the conversations, laughing and jawing going on outside. Our outside dinner entertainment was watching the First Son’s friends play basketball while we ate. After dinner they devoured all of our leftovers and remain chatting outside. I love having them over, but I’m especially amused because I hear the Third Son’s much younger voice pipe in right in the middle of the group. He loves “holding court” right in the center of them. That’s gotta be some very patient teenagers . . .
What summer time things are you doing this week? Any special summer suppers you like to serve? Do you happen to look up sometimes and realize it’s 8 o’clock at night and you thought it was 6 or something?
Have a GREAT week!