Yesterday, as I was talking to her she said she wished she had something profound to tell me. I told her she had been telling me many profound things for years. She has always been that constant voice in my ear – often providing good advice, sometimes nagging, and other times saying just the right thing. Here are a few of Mama’s words in my ear. I wonder if any are familiar to you, too.
* But by the grace of God there go I.
* Always tell the truth. You’ll get in less trouble.
* Always wear clean underwear. You never know if you might get in a wreck.
* Make sure you respect him.
* Always be careful of what you do. You never know who might be watching.
* Put on some lipstick.
* Get your hair out of your eyes.
* One thing no one can take away from you is your education.
* Make sure you can support yourself.
* If you lose your reputation you may never get it back.
* Roses take a lot of work, patience and fertilizer.
* Babies don’t come with instruction books on their bottoms. We do the best we can.
* Everything tastes better with a little pepper.
* If possible, make it yourself.
* Stand up straight.
* Take trips with your husband.
* You can always trust me. I have your best interest at heart. I’m the one person who will never be jealous of you or will lie to you.
* You are so pretty.
* Don’t wear yellow or orange. You look better in colors.
* It’s not our plan. It’s all in His hands.
* Family is more important than anything else.
Those are the top things that pop into my mind on a weekly and daily basis. Most of these are really good – except I do like wearing orange . . . I am sure there are others and I’ve learned many, many other lessons from my mother. Some doing with cooking, gardening, housekeeping, child rearing, handling a high maintenance husband, and some of what not to do for your best health. All in all it’s been a good relationship and one I feel blessed to have.
As Mother’s Day approaches I am wishing my own mom an early Happy Mother’s Day and appreciating all of the well meaning help, hints, nags, aggravation and love!